New job. New passion. New blog.
I’m still in the Army. I’m still at the Defense Information School. I’m still enlisted.
What’s different is what I do. Since January, I have been the school’s first emerging media coordinator. What is an emerging media coordinator, you ask? What do I do on a day-to-day basis? Good question.
Partly because I didn’t really know at first. I was the first one. I could have sat on my laurels and gone home early. That’s not me, though, and it’s not how I landed the job in the first place.
Since arriving at DINFOS, I’d become a pain in the ass. I saw that we weren’t teaching anything about social media in any of our courses. Here we were, the sole military training center for communication, and we weren’t plugged in to the conversation at all. It was embarrassing. It was inexcusable. And so I said as much. Routinely.
The nay-sayers sprouted up in their initial protests, which is usually enough to beat the enthusiast down. I didn’t buy it, though. I was a user. I believed in this stuff. I persisted.
And eventually, after a year and a half of being a regular Joe instructor, the very forward-thinking commandant at the time saw fit to bless me diving in to social media full time. Thus, the position was born. I was to figure out how DINFOS could more effectively use social media (referred often enough by DOD as “emerging media” to denote its independence from purely social constraints).
And, boy, what a hell of a few months it has been. I’ve been able to attend seminars, go to a bunch of meetings, and stave off the pessimists long enough to get some actual content put into the curriculum.
All of this not to toot my horn, but to give you some context on this little journey we’re about to embark on together. This blog is going to help me chronicle the smiles and cries of the social media struggle within DOD. I’m just an average schmo, pushing for new things in stodgy circles. Lord help me, there’s a lot of obstacles in the way. I hope this little corner of the Interwebz will hold some form of encouragement to any who might pass by.
Viva la revolución!
About salemonzBorn in San Diego, Calif. Raised as a Navy Brat, I jumped ship and crossed over to the Army. Served as an enlisted journalist for a bunch of years, then helped the DoD figure out what the hell to do with social media. After the Army, now I drift down the river of life, trying not to be a jerk.
Hey there! I'm a former Army print journalist and DoD social media zealot. I spend my days in the public relations and marketing worlds, chatting about technology and working on fun side projects.
I write, dance and do most things.
- Ruthven78 on Sometimes, let people be wrong
- FreyaFyre on Sometimes, let people be wrong
- Abbey on My utter failing as a human as told by my lawn
- Salmons on My utter failing as a human as told by my lawn
- salemonz on This is my bag. There are many like it, but this one is mine
- Ted Salmons on This is my bag. There are many like it, but this one is mine
- Ted Salmons on New Years New Years hooray for New Years
- salemonz on The mind’s remembering
- Meghan Kathleen (@meghankathleen) on The mind’s remembering
- salemonz on Sometimes, let people be wrong
- via @futurism // For the First Time Ever, Scientists Injected a Man With DNA-Altering Material ow.ly/twFy50fLIQn 55 minutes ago
- via @arstechnica // Hurricane Harvey studies: Yesterday’s 100-year storm is today’s 30-year storm ow.ly/58LG50fLG6F 1 hour ago
- via @futurism // The National Australia Bank Will No Longer Lend to New Thermal Coal Projects ow.ly/kYVZ50fLupB 6 hours ago
- via @futurism // How to Survive a Mass Extinction ow.ly/WROa50fKWvB 1 day ago
- via @arstechnica // Local Roots: Farm-in-a-box coming to a distribution center near you ow.ly/P2dH50fKUXm 1 day ago
- via @futurism // Stem Cells Restore Mobility and Sensory Perception to Paralyzed Rats ow.ly/X4VY50fKIvM 1 day ago
- via @futurism // This Week in Tech: Dec 9 – 15, 2017 ow.ly/L0iu50fKuhL 1 day ago
- via @futurism // Saudi Arabia Made a Citizen. Now, She’s Calling For Women’s Rights. ow.ly/t07I50fK3lo 2 days ago
- via @arstechnica // ISS astronauts will get their own Star Wars premiere—in space ow.ly/XDcL50fK2eA 2 days ago
- via @futurism // The SPCA Has Removed Its Controversial Security Robot ow.ly/x52B50fJJpz 2 days ago
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (5)
- October 2014 (7)
- September 2014 (2)
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (2)
- January 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (2)
- October 2013 (3)
- September 2013 (7)
- August 2013 (3)
- July 2013 (8)
- June 2013 (2)
- March 2011 (2)
- October 2010 (4)
- September 2010 (2)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (7)
- June 2010 (1)
- May 2010 (3)
- April 2010 (1)
- January 2010 (3)
- October 2009 (2)
- September 2009 (5)
- August 2009 (6)
- May 2008 (8)
- February 2008 (3)
- January 2008 (7)
- December 2007 (5)
- November 2007 (7)
- October 2007 (10)
- September 2007 (8)
- August 2007 (8)
- July 2007 (11)
- June 2007 (9)
- May 2007 (11)
- April 2007 (7)
- March 2007 (6)
- February 2007 (3)
- January 2007 (6)
- December 2006 (5)
- November 2006 (8)
- October 2006 (12)
- September 2006 (11)
- August 2006 (14)
- July 2006 (11)
- June 2006 (11)
- May 2006 (13)
- April 2006 (8)
- March 2006 (7)
- February 2006 (17)
- January 2006 (15)
- December 2005 (12)
- November 2005 (14)
- October 2005 (19)
- September 2005 (7)
- August 2005 (19)